Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Faith vs Reason

Jessica made a really good point today. We were discussing the fact that I way over analyze things and make them more complicated and stressful than they need to be. I think that this contributes to my problem of not always being as decisive as I should be.

We're counseled to "study [things] out in our mind," but there also comes a time when we need to put our trust in the Lord and step into the darkness. Only then will the light move and further illuminate our path. Elder Packer makes a great point about this in his talk "The Candle of the Lord." So the question for me is, where is the balance between faith and reason? To what extent should I study things out in my mind (going somewhat crazy as I do so...) and when do I start stepping?

I realize that faith is an action principle, and in order for the Lord to tell me how I'm doing, I need to be doing something. So how does this fit with the biggest decision of my life? I think that once I start moving, I'll need something with the subtlety of a bulldozer to stop me if it's not the right thing. Hopefully that's not something that I need to be too worried about...

2 comments:

Jess said...

I was thinking again about this last night and was looking in the Bible Dictionary under Faith and what caught my attention was that it must be cultured and sought after until it grows. The 3 effects of true faith also made me stop and think (look 'em up--they're good).

I was also thinking, we must not only have faith in the Lord, but we must also have faith (meaning confidence) in ourselves (because we are God's children). God gave us agency but he also gave us (well, some of us... :)) sound judgment and reasoning skills to aid us in using the gift of agency.

Unknown said...

True faith only functions through reason; otherwise it's a glorified crapshoot.