Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Friday, December 21, 2007

Media update

Jess and I went to see The Seeker: The Dark is Rising last night at the dollar theater (wonderful place). The show was pretty good for the genre (cheesy adolescent feel-good family fantasy movie) and we enjoyed it for the most part. We did laugh at a couple of plot twists, but all-in-all, it was worth a dollar apiece. Biggest annoyance: the (maybe retarded to give them the benefit of the doubt) kids to our left and family behind us who all talked at full volume during the movie. Really, who does that?

I finished Persuasion by Jane Austen this morning, and have to admit that I enjoyed it. Austen has a sharp wit, and I love the irony and biting humor that she has in her books (at least the two that I've read). The version of the book that I was reading has the original last two chapters in it as an appendix (apparently Austen wrote two new ones right before publication), and there was almost no difference in them at all--she only changed the way in which Anne and her dashing Captain Wentworth finally discovered their true feelings for each other (that they hadn't changed after 8 years) and get back together. A lot of the text was conserved verbatim. I don't even know why they included the first couple pages.

Next to read: The Dark is Rising series. They were already in my reading queue, but having seen the movie made me want to read the books even more. I'm gonna go to the library today to pick them up--they've got like half a billion copies of each one, and they're all checked in. That's a lot nicer than the Golden Compass was. Good luck trying to get a copy of that book. Sheesh.

2 comments:

K P said...

Thanks for adding me to your list. :)

K P said...

PS - I love your guts!!!