Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Latest media reviews

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: We found this one at our public library, and I had to get it. (Turns out there are TONS of good movies over in the kids section, and we only just figured this out a week ago--3 of the 4 movies we checked out were from over there.) CCBB (for short) is a fun little musical that I watched a lot when I was little (Gma Jones had (has?) grundles of movies that she recorded on VHS that we would borrow all the time, and CCBB was one of them). It's a movie about a fantastic car and the adventures that its owners have in it. The movie has wonderful songs, memorable characters, is funny and witty--it's basically everything a good movie should be. Dick van Dyke stars as Caractacus Potts, an unsuccessful inventor, and does a great job. I highly recommend this movie, and we may even purchase it ourselves. We'll see. :) We brought it with us on our campout (Had and Jeanette have a little portable DVD player) and Lucy loved it so much that she wanted to watch it twice. Just watch out for the child catcher--he's a little scary for the little ones.

Twilight: Yeah, I read it. Yeah, it only took two days. Sheesh. The book is a "vampire romance" and is pretty engaging. I thought it was ok, but as I mentioned to my sisters-in-law, I could have done with more "vampire" and less "romance". Both of them said that I will probably like New Moon more (they liked it less for that reason). I'm about a third of the way through, and it's still sort of iffy. As it stands, I'll probably never read the books again after I finish them. I'll stick with lame things like Jurassic Park (right, Maren?). I guess it just goes to show that I'm a boy.

6 comments:

Jess said...

CCBB was a fun one. I'm glad we picked it up!

As for Twilight... I'm only on page 5 and I'm already hooked! Best book ever. Just kidding (about being already hooked and possibly about it being the best book ever. I'll withhold judgment until I've actually read it all the way through).

Maren said...

Brad, kudos for actually trying to read the Twilight series. I'm glad you are comfortable in your manhood to read a good chick lit once in a while.

And Jess, it IS the best book ever (second only to Jurassic Park I'm told...)

Nick said...

(Yawn)

Bradwich said...

Ouch... what more do you want, pops?

Nancy and Spencer said...

I'm pretty sure i'm a girl, but i didn't like the Twilight book so much. Perhaps i still have more tomboy in me then i thought. I admit, initially it grabbed me. But by the end i was becoming more & more disappointed. We'll have to discuss this more when we see you guys in June! Yay for June family time!!
p.s. I love that song by Keane. Good choice.

K P said...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a fun show! The child snatcher is pretty freaky though! Great songs from the movie and Dick Van Dyke is awesome!

Got a chance to see Penelope last week. Loved it! It had a nice message to it, too.

Dad and I saw Spiderwick Chronicles last night. We both liked it. It was entertaining with some surprises.

Thanks for your movie reviews and recommendations!