Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yaar, thar be pirates

Interesting news this week: pirates off the coast of Somalia took an American ship (the Maersk Alabama), but the situation has been resolved. The crew of the ship acted quickly and disabled it so that the pirates wouldn't be able to sail it. So three of the four pirates hopped in a lifeboat with the captain of the Maersk. After a while at sea, US Naval forces showed up (the SEALs), ready to rescue the captain. At least one of the pirates had an AK-47 assault rifle aimed at the captain's back, so the commanding officer gave the order to fire. Three Navy snipers dropped the three pirates at the same time, one head-shot each. The captain was rescued, safe and sound.

I have two main thoughts about the whole situation. The first is that it breaks my heart that things are so bad in Somalia that people are having to resort to piracy to make a living. The country basically has no government, and hasn't for a while. There is no easy solution in sight. Even sadder is that these men lost their lives essentially because of the situation they were in.

However, these men did have agency and they used it poorly. The life of an American citizen was in danger through no fault of his own. So my second thought is that how impressed I am with our military men and their skill. They took care of the situation quickly and efficiently, and saved the life of the captain. This is the sort of thing that you read about in a Tom Clancy novel, not hear about in real life.

So I'm glad the captain is ok, that the SEALs are awesome, and that the crew were quick on their feet to prevent bigger problems. But I'm also wondering, what can be done to help the Somali people and prevent this sort of thing from continuing/happening again?

4 comments:

Nancy and Spencer said...

I feel the same way. It's such a tragedy. When Spenc first told me about this, i thought, "Pirates?? There aren't pirates anymore!" But I was thinking the sword toting swash-buckling kind. Not the automatic weapon shooting kind. So very sad.

kelli said...

Some things in life you just wish were different.. But sometimes we can help with change! I felt the same way when I watched the Invisible Children video http://www.invisiblechildren.com/home.php--but there are things that I can do to help! I can help make a difference.
I wonder what can be done to help Somalia..

Jess said...

It's so sad that people are resorting to such things. Hopefully things will improve.

emy said...

It is a really tough situation. perspectives change a lot when you have a kid. if i were in their shoes watching my kid starve to death and looking out at a boat full of food. it would be easy to justify doing whatever it took to feed them. isn't starving a child a greater crime than stealing? but, "doing a little evil to a greater good" is wrong too. what went from stealing has led to attempted murder and death. my heart really goes out to them. i don't know their motives but my heart goes out to all sides. there is not a lot i can do, but God can do anything so lets pray for them.