Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hi, my name is Brad, and I'm a bookaholic.

So I have to let you in on a couple of secrets. First: I have a reading queue in my blog side bar... but it's not super accurate. Yes, I plan to read all of the books in it, but my to-read queue is a bit longer than what you can see there. There are 18 books listed on my blog, but the true queue actually contains 797.

Second: reading pays. I've received 5 free books in the past 6 months or so, plus a $10 gift certificate to a local restaurant. All for reading... woohoo!

The summer reading program at the local library is pretty great--they were the source of the gift certificate. The books came from a website called Goodreads, which just so happens to be one of my favorite websites ever. Basically it's a giant database of books with social network functionality. So you create a profile and start telling the website books you've read, and marking other books that you want to read. You can rate books and leave reviews on them. You can be friends with other people who use the site and see what they are reading and what they think about it, etc. So anytime I hear about a book that sounds interesting to me, I'll go to the website, find it, and mark it as "to read". Then it doesn't have to sit in my brain anymore. I also haven't lacked for new books to read since I started using it--I know exactly what books I'm wanting to read rather than trying to remember what that cool book my buddy told me about is called. I've outsourced a nice little non-essential portion of my brain.

Now, I can't possibly read all of these books in my queue in any reasonable amount of time (at best it will be over 10 years...), but it'll keep track of them for me nonetheless. I've also figured out how to choose what to read next: I go to a random number generator and give it the number of books in the list, and the number it gives me is the next book. Sweet.

There's a section on the site called "Firstreads" where you can enter free drawings for books that are coming out soon. Publishers and authors put them up, and if you see one that strikes your fancy, you can enter for it. If you win, they send you the book for free, end of obligation. They hope you will read it and give a review, but you don't even have to do that. If you do, though, it makes it more likely that you will win more drawings in the future (as it plays into their algorithm for choosing). Out of the 5 books I've received, only one was a real stinker, so after I read it I sent it off to the DI.

Anywho, I really like Goodreads. Feel free to add me as a friend on it if you wish. Goodreads + libraries = reading bliss. Also, I've linked to my profile if anyone cares to see what it looks like.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Hi, my name is Jess and I'm married to a bookaholic.

JTENMAN said...

LOL - nice. I am a bookaholic as well. I average 2-3 books a week. However, no luck getting any free books yet on Goodreads. grrr...

Christian said...

Probably shouldn't have told me about the free book thing because now I'm your competition. I do love good reads though and the random number generator is a stroke of genius on your part. If only there was more time in the day to set aside for reading...

ldsjaneite said...

This is the best book-, library-, and GoodReads-promoting entry ever. YAY! That was one of my same reasons for going on GoodReads, too. And I love that it's work related for me, so I can be on it any time of the day and never feel guilty. :-) Only...I never win any of the drawings I enter on it. You must be really lucky. Or I don't enter enough.

Three cheers for bookaholics!

Bradwich said...

Heidi, I do enter a lot of the giveaways. Basically if there's any chance I think I might be interested at all in the book, I enter. It probably also helps that my tastes are broad enough that my first book I won was about statistics, and the most recent one was about medicine. Now, if I had a thing for romances, I'd be set.

kelli said...

A ha ha ha ha ha! Funny that I just looked at your GoodReads and saw you've got 947 books goin on..!!! I was going to text you or find some other way to comment on that, when I happened across your blog; and TA DA! Here you have already done that fore me. I love you. :)

Hi, I'm Kelli, and I work at a library to support my bookaholic brother.

ldsjaneite said...

After your post, I went and entered a bunch of Giveaways. And I just won my first! Woohoo! Thanks for the reminder about them. :-)

Jen Bowen said...

You inspired me to join Goodreads.