Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Monday, January 7, 2008

First day of school

So today we started classes again. Drag. I'm taking 17 credit hours, and as I worked through my first 9 - 5 day on campus, I grew a little intimidated at my load. The homework hasn't even started yet. Yikes. Add to this the fact that I'll be working 15 hours per week in a research lab on campus, I figure I'm gonna be a busy little beaver.

*WARNING* THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH DISPLAYS EXTREME NERDINESS

I did some calculations, and this is what I discovered. Teachers (and "University Policy") state that for every hour you spend in class (credit hour), you should be spending two hours outside of class. 17 credit hours x 3 hours per week = 51 hours total per week. 51 hours of school + 15 hours of work = 66 hours of stuff that needs to be done.

24 hours per day - 8 for sleeping = 16 hours for stuff per day. 16 hours per day x 6 days for non-Sabbath activities = 96 hours for stuff each week. 96 hours for stuff - 66 hours of stuff that needs doing = 30 hours for everything else. Everything else = showering, eating, other morning and evening routines, shopping and other errands, leisure, wife, etc.

Guess who's stoked for the new semester?

P.S. My o-chem teacher is also nerdy and mentioned to us that she did the calculation for a dessert at Bennigan's called "Death by Chocolate" to find out how much energy would be released if you could release all of the calories in it at once. It's the same as a lightning strike. Awesome.

5 comments:

Bradwich said...

If the equations are hard to understand in this format, let me know. I can put them each on their own lines...

Spencer Jones said...

Well Brad, I think if you should have your o-chem teacher show her work...Organic chemists don't use math all that much. I also think you need to define "at once" as well.
You should enjoy these 60 hour weeks while they last, you won't always have that much free time...

K P said...

Remember, great things don't come easily. Hang in there. It will be worth it. Love ya!

Maren said...

I need to try that Death by Chocolate dessert.

Maren said...

Sorry Brad, I got distracted by that chocolate business. What I really meant to say (and I truly mean it) is that if anyone can handle your workload, it's you. (Although Jess would be a close second.)