Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Friday, June 27, 2008

Nemesis




The check engine light... It's the bane of my existence, and it never seems to be finished toying with me. We have a 2001 Toyota Corolla (the one that needed the engine work mentioned on my dad's blog, and for the most part it's a great little car. However, we've been fighting with the check engine light for a long time, and no one is really sure how to fix the problem.

The light itself isn't really problematic. The car still runs just fine and gets us around without a problem. Unfortunately, when the light is on, the car goes into a "safe mode," where the engine computer won't allow the engine to run efficiently. Translation: gas mileage dropped from high 30's/low 40's down to low 20's. And it won't pass emissions inspections.

Fortunately, it's only been somewhat of a problem lately. After the major engine surgery, the light and I have had an "on again, off again" relationship (bahahaha). Before we left to California, the light had been off for some time (after a couple of ons and offs). On our way back to the hotel from the beach, though, it came back on. Normally it turns itself back off after a hundred miles or so. This time it didn't turn off for the whole 642 miles home from Disneyland. We were starting to get worried.

Prayers were answered, however. Just earlier this week the light turned off again. Life is good.

(And the mileage wasn't affected much on our drive--we were still pushing low to mid 30 mpgs going fast with AC blazing).

9 comments:

Jess said...

Well, I for one hope this "on again, off again" relationship (with the check engine light) stays off.

K P said...

Yippee Skippy! Hope it stays off forever! Love your guts!

kelli said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm helping you to not feel so discouraged by commenting on your blog :) The picture helps!!

kelli said...

It makes me want to comment more!

kelli said...

And more!!!! AND MORE!!!!

kelli said...

Mua ha ha. Lub you :) Sorry they're all from me. But still! I'm real excited for you that your car is working again. I need a car. Actually, not really...cause gas is so ridiculous. And walking is healthy. And really, who needs a car in college? Especially if your roommate has one.
So what I'm trying to say is....I'm happy for you.
LOVE YOU SO MUCH!! :D

Derrick said...

cars cars cars... I fixed our A/C this past week, and since I did it out in front of our building, a bunch of people saw me doing it, and I guess it looked like I knew what I was doing, because I got asked to help someone out with theirs... woot.

yah so we still need to have our super M night, we're pretty available, just call us up sometime (or get a hold of us somehow)

fun times.

Jen Bowen said...

Too bad we depend on cars so much. At least the light usually turns off on it's own! Good luck with the ongoing battle.

kelli said...

You're welcome. :)