Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Recent media review

Sorry everyone, sometimes it's tough to think of things to blog about. So here's my cop out review of movies that I've seen recently.

The Greatest Game Ever Played (PG): What a great movie! It came out three years ago, but this was my first time seeing it. It's a feel-good golf movie about a talented young golfer who realizes his dream of playing against Harry Vardon, British Open winner and one of the best golfers ever. Jess and I even teared up at the end. It's not often that a movie will activate my waterworks, but there was a very tender father-son moment at the end of the movie. Plus the 10-year-old caddy has a lot of great one-liners. Verdict: see it!! Probably even worth buying, and it was nice and clean.

Big Fish (PG-13): Very interesting. I think it's my favorite movie that I've seen by Tim Burton. A man whose father tells many stories tries to find out who the man behind the stories is. Ewan McGregor does a great job as the younger incarnation of the father (we watch his version of his past). It's a sweet movie, but has some naughty words towards the beginning of the show. You also see two bums (one belongs to Danny DeVito... you're probably better off without that). I don't recommend this one for families unless you have a way to edit it. I don't think we'll ever purchase it.

Nim's Island (PG): Tonight's adventure was this poor excuse for a movie. We're talking about 1 hr 40 min of my life that I'll never get back. :) I do think that Jodie Foster did a great job as a somewhat neurotic writer, but honestly, if you're not in the 5 - 10 yr old range, this movie will probably just bore you. Verdict: see it now in the dollar theater, I guess. Though you'd probably be happiest waiting until you can pick it up at your local library for free.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I also loved "The Greatest Game Ever Played." And now from your reviews of the other two, I know I don't need to seek them out. Thanks!

kelli said...

Don't even wait for the library for Nim's Island--just don't waste your time! Ugh

Jess said...

I think you are hot.

Maren said...

Thanks. I was wondering about Nim's Island. I won't bother now.

Very useful information.