Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Decluttering

I'll admit it... I'm a bit of a packrat. I tend to hold on to things "just in case I need it later" or because it has some sentimental value (hidden away in a closet...). I just finished a book called "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. He's an organizational guru and was on a show on TLC called Clean Sweep where they help people declutter.

I got the book from the library and skimmed through it today. Essentially he tells people to imagine the life they want to live, and then get rid of anything they have sitting around the house that gets in the way of that life. He mentions that if we're not careful, the stuff we own will begin to own us. He also throws in common tips like "if you haven't used/worn it in a year, you should probably get rid of it."

Overall, I thought it had some good pointers, and hopefully I can take and apply them to become less attached to some of my old stuff.

7 comments:

Lizzy said...

I am great at decluttering. Just ask Jess. If you ever need any help getting rid of anything, just let me know. I've got mad skills at throwing things away.

K P said...

Sounds like something I ought to give a try -- again. :)

Bradwich said...

I started at your house, mom, getting my old computer ready for donation to DI. I was proud of myself.

Maren said...

Your blog just made me feel good about giving away 75% of my wardrobe today to the DI. Not in the name of decluttering, darn it, but in the name of weight gain. I also go my wedding ring resized.

I also made chocolate chip cookies.

Darin said...

I'm also motivated. I recently tossed a whole box of Maureena's boots that were in the closet! With her permission. It IS too easy to collect too much and I got motivated when I visited Lizzys's house. That is why I pay my kids for things they will throw away. They give me the nicest piles for pocket change and it turns out they really aren't attached to it. But if I were to just thow it away they would act as if they lost an arm.

kelli said...

It's a Prestwich curse!! I keep anything and everything. I'm hoping that moving out will provide an incentive to consolidate and de-clutter myself. Ugh..

kelli said...

HEY GUESS WHAT?! Yesterday, me and mom spend like 3 hours DE-CLUTTERING MY ROOM! It looks fantastic--well, my closet does. I think I'll blog about it. :) Then you can read more!