Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Seven down, thirty-two more to go

I finished Judges in the OT tonight. Overall, there are more stories and "interesting things" than in the later books of Moses (take heart, Maren!)

I noticed that there wasn't much mention of prophets in the book, though. It was a time when Israel was ruled by Judges (hence the name), several of whom received inspiration, but there were no real prophets. As a result, Israel went through the pride cycle several times in the book and had some hard situations to work through.

The last verse says "In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes." I think that was part of the problem--no major spiritual guidance, just people doing things the way they felt they should. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it just drags the people down.

3 comments:

K P said...

I enjoy reading your thoughts about what you have read. You express yourself well. You give me things to think about as well as a better understanding. I love ya!

Maren said...

Way to rub in the fact that you are way ahead of me!

I'll keep plugging away...I hope I understand it all like you do.

Darin said...

Thanks for the meaningful comment! Way to stick with the Old Testament!