Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Catchall

So, first exam is finished.  I learned a lesson the hard way that if you fall behind in medical school, there is no catching up.  The few days leading up to the exam were pretty awful, full of study, study, and more study.  Despite these efforts, I was still not as prepared as I should have been for the test.  Fortunately, at my school there is no official class rank, and all tests are simply pass / fail.  This means that I just had to clear 70% in order to pass.  The exam had two parts, a written portion that we took on our computers in the lecture hall (this was multiple choice and covered anatomy, histology (tissue biology--mostly pictures of cells), and embryology), and the lab practical, which involved going to the cadaver lab and identifying structures on the bodies that had been pinned by the professor and TAs.  I got 75% on the written portion, which means I could miss up to 20 of the 50 practical questions.  I'll get those results later this week.  While normally I would be disappointed with this kind of performance, I did learn a valuable lesson, and the clock essentially resets after each exam.  As long as I pass, I'll be pleased.  And then I'll do better on the next exams.  But enough of that.

In other news, I discovered a way to bring back the song of the moment.  Grooveshark, a very cool music-streaming service, can make widgets for you for free.  They host the music file, and I get to share it on my blog.  And if anyone has concerns about copyright issues, they speak to Grooveshark instead of me.  This is a good thing.  So song of the moment is back from hiatus, and it's back with a song by The Black Keys.  Turns out these guys are from Ohio, which is cool.  It's just two guys, one on guitar and one on drums.  They sound kinda like the White Stripes, and I really like this song.  It probably helps that I found the video entertaining.  Here's the link.

What else... Still on track for 100 books this year.  I'm excited to reach this goal, but don't foresee a specific numerical goal for the next couple of years.  I think this will help me be more willing to read some of the lengthier tomes I've been wanting to get to (Rough Stone Rolling and The Lady in White come to mind).

Also, we played a game last night called "Killer Bunnies", and while it was pretty strange, I thought it was a lot of fun.  Jess even played, which is a pretty big deal.

EDIT: Jess so gently reminded me that she in fact not only played Killer Bunnies (a pretty big feat in and of itself), she also won Killer Bunnies.  Congrats to her, and hopefully this helps her be more excited about playing in the future. :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

You forgot to mention that I WON Killer Bunnies. Heck yeah! :)

JTENMAN said...

The songs pretty good. I'm with you on not setting a goal for next year because there are some long books that I want to read that are just waiting...

Tansy said...

We have been Killer Bunnies fans for a while. Glad you've seen the light.

And way to get your first med school test under your belt!

Julie said...

Never heard of Killer Bunnies. I'll have to check it out. Good luck as you continue on with all that med school stuff. It sounds very interesting.