Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How Do You Learn?

As I mentioned previously, medical school often feels like drinking from the firehose.  The whole process basically involves absorbing large amounts of information at a quick pace.  This is easier in some subjects for me (concept-based ones) than others (memorization-based ones).  Anatomy just happens to be one of those memorization-based subjects, and that is what we're slogging through right now.

I've found that flash cards tend to be a helpful way for me to memorize things, partially because they are very portable (I can go through them on the bus!), and partially because for my brain to memorize things, I have to beat them into it repeatedly.  And then some more.  Occasionally I'll try to come up with mnemonics to help things stick a little better.  Discussing things with other people and reviewing together also helps, as does drawing things out.

But as I am always looking for a better way of doing things, what do you do, dear (5) readers, to make things that you learn stick?

4 comments:

Jess said...

I'm like you (and I like you...) and need to repeat/read things over and over. Writing things down also helps.

Julie said...

I have a hard time with memorization, especially as I get older. Putting things to a song helps because I can remember that kind of thing pretty good!

Nancy and Spencer said...

Try writing them down on crackers. Then eat them. You'll find including multiple senses in the memorization process will work wonders. And at the very least, you got to eat crackers.

ldsjaneite said...

Writing things down helps me. It's why i take ridiculous amounts of notes with everything, because the act of writing it helps me remember a bit more. And either putting things to song, or studying with music in general. And the weird ways to remember. (Like when I can never remember if it is "ie" or "eg," I remember that the latter stands for "eg-zample." Terrible, but it works!) Good luck!