Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Things We Saw at the Pumpkin Show

  • A pumpkin weighing over 1600 lbs.
  • A replica of the world's largest pumpkin pie.
  • More food vendor stands than things to see and do (aside from people-watching).
  • Some friends from our ward.
  • A fat guy saying, "I want sum' funnel cake."
  • Some scary looking carnies (and some normal looking ones, too)
  • Girls dancing to Irish music.  Either they had all slept with tight curlers the night before, or their teacher went wig-happy.
  • A castle house.
  • A handful of spaces in mouths where teeth should have been, but weren't.
  • Pumpkin chili and pumpkin sloppy joes burgers.  And pumpkin waffles, and pumpkin bread, cookies, cake, pie, etc.
  • Delicious mini pumpkin donuts, only $3.50 a bag (heaven, especially when fresh from the oil)
  • A nice lady running the mini donut stand, who recognized me when I came back an hour later for another back.  Yes, they are just that good.
  • A 3-mile long line of traffic waiting to get off the freeway to attend the Pumpkin Show--fortunately we noticed these as we were headed the opposite direction on our way home.

5 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I love the Pumpkin-ness, especially as I get ready for my own pumpkin program in a week. Something tells me you would be entertained by Punkin' Chunkin' in Delaware. I have yet to go, but it's huge. And now I may have to find my own recipe for pumpkin donuts...

Spencer said...

I must see a picture of this 1600 lb pumpkin. Is that a typo of 160 lb?

Julie said...

What is a carnie? What does a pumpkin burger look like? Does it look like a sloppy joe?

Yes, Spencer, I believe the pumpkin actually weighed 1600 lbs. I think the largest one I've heard of in Utah was over 1000 lbs. Pretty crazy if you ask me!

kelli said...

A carnie is a carnival worker.. aka nutcase. :) haha!

Bradley--those Irish dancers have to wear wigs. They cost a bunch, are ridiculous to maintain and look a little funny on. But it's all part of the gig. I knew an Irish dancer once. I also used to know what it was called. But that was last year. Things change. I forget. haha

Bradwich said...

@Spence: It truly was 1600 lbs. Here's a link to a picture of it: http://www.pumpkinshow.com/pumpkin.asp

It's hard to get a real sense of scale from the image, but it was probably about 3 feet from flat part on the ground to the part in the air.

@Julie: The pumpkin burgers looked exactly like sloppy joes, but didn't taste identical. It was very tasty, but didn't have a strong pumpkin flavor (probably a good thing).

@Kelli: It was pretty cute on the little girls, and somewhat less so on the older girls. Thanks for the info!