Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Three mostly unrelated things

1:  I don't recall whether or not I shared this on the blog (and couldn't see after a cursory search), but I set a goal in January to read 100 books this year.  It has been a perfect year to attempt this with long bus rides during my last semester of school and a pretty laid back summer.  We'll see how fall goes...

So the good new is that today I finished book number 50--that's right, halfway through my challenge, and there are still three more weeks before the year is half over.  I'm ahead of schedule, which is probably a good thing.  I calculated a pace of two books per week to meet my goal, and that will be harder to keep up once medical school starts.  More med school in a moment.  Book 50 was a good one: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.  You can see my review here (this goes to my goodreads profile, you'll need to scroll down once you get there).

2:  Thanks for all of your thoughts about the song of the moment.  I'm glad that those who commented are in favor of it ('cept you, Kel. I have my eye on you and your different music tastes...).  I think I'm going to try to get it back up by next Wednesday.  I appreciate the RSS issue being brought up.  I'm thinking of leaving the player at the top of the blog like before (optional, as always), but need a good way to let those who read the blog through Google Reader or other feed readers to know when the song has changed and what it is.  My proposed solution: indicate the current song of the moment at the end of each post that I put up.  Those who care to hear it can then visit the blog to listen, and won't need to bother checking in vain if it hasn't been updated.  Thoughts?

3:  Way back in item number one, I promised more med school stuff.  Here it is.  I'm wanting to chronicle the medical school experience, and want to do it with a blog.  However, because of patient confidentiality issues I probably either need a privacy barrier or to blog anonymously.  I like having my blog public.  I also don't think I would be able to maintain a personal blog and a medical school blog--I don't want to spread myself too thin.  But maybe if I compromise and just do one post per week on each?  Dunno.  Once again, I request your thoughts.  What would you like to see?  We'll probably revisit this topic later after I have cogitated more on it.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Brad, I think posting your med school experiences is great. Since I work in the medical industry I am very aware of patient confidentiality issues and HIPA. I think you can discuss things without revealing who the people are and make it generic if you discuss a patient. You don't have to reveal where you are located if you make it a different blog. Anyway, that's my two cents. :)

ldsjaneite said...

Yay for reading goals and challenges! Good for you on that. I do enjoy your GoodReads reviews.

And I would be really interested in anything you would write on a medical blog. I understand confidentiality, of course. I have to be fairly vague on my library blog. I do know it's hard to keep up more than one blog at a time, but personally I do better with keeping various blogs covering various aspects. They aren't as regular though.