Song of the Moment

- absent for the moment -

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Disappointing

I made a decision a while ago to re-read a lot of the books that I had to read for English classes in junior high and high school. I re-read The Chosen by Chaim Potok last summer, and I liked it so much that I read the sequel. I've found that a lot of great literature is a lot of fun to read (especially when you're not forced to do it for a class).

I started Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger this past week, and was somewhat shocked at the level of profanity. I hemmed and hawed and kept on reading. About half-way through, though, I decided that enough was enough. Several swear words per page was starting to get to me, and "great literature" or not, I decided that it wasn't worth my time. With all of the other great books out there, why bother with something that I didn't really enjoy?

So today I dropped Catcher in the Rye and started Cyrano de Bergerac, and I'm already very pleased with my choice. It's a play about an amazing guy with a really big nose who's in love with a lady who likes a good-looking guy who's really dense. It's funny, it's witty, and it's quality literature. And even better now that it's for fun.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I've never read Catcher in the Rye and now I know I don't want to. Thanks for the heads up hot stuff.

Darin said...

I have done that with a few books from shakespeare for college. It was interresting how much more I appreciate now than I did in high school. I would like to read "Les Miserables" one day when I can justify the time. For now, I enjoy my kids.